A steam mop is a great tool to have in your cleaning arsenal. Not only does it clean your floors effectively, but it also disinfects them with the power of steam.
But like any other tool, a steam mop needs to be cleaned regularly to function at its best. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to clean the steam mop so that it continues to work like new.
You may be surprised to learn that steam mops have a long and varied history. The first steam mop was patented way back in 1876.
While the design has changed quite a bit in the intervening years, the basic premise is still the same: using the power of steam to clean floors. Let’s learn more in this 3-minute read!
How To Clean Steam Mop
1. Start by reading the instruction manual that came with your steam mop. This will give you an idea of the different parts of the mop and how to use them properly. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the safety instructions before using any electrical appliance.
2. Fill the water reservoir with clean water. You can use distilled water to extend the life of your steam mop.
3. Plug in the power cord and turn on the steam mop.
4. Once the water has heated up, hold the mop head over the sink and press the trigger to release any excess water.
5. Place the mop head on the floor and start steaming in small, circular motions.
6. Pay special attention to any areas that seem particularly dirty or stained.
7. After you have finished steaming the floor, turn off the steam mop and unplug it from the power outlet.
8. Empty the water reservoir and refill it with clean water.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 until the water coming out of the mop head is clear.
10. Disinfect the mop head by soaking it in a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water for 30 minutes.
11. Rinse the mop head thoroughly with clean water and allow it to air dry.
12. Store the steam mop in a cool, dry place.
Benefits Of Using Steam Mop
Steam mops have seen a surge in popularity in recent years, and it’s no wonder why. They are incredibly easy to use, and they provide a deep clean that simply isn’t possible with a traditional mop and bucket.
If you’re on the fence about whether or not a steam mop is right for you, read on to learn more about the many benefits of using one.
Steam Mops Are Quick and Easy To Use
If you’ve ever used a traditional mop and bucket, you know that they can be time-consuming and cumbersome to use. You have to fill up the bucket with water, add cleaning solution, lug it around with you as you move from room to room, and then empty it when you’re done.
With a steam mop, all you have to do is add water to the reservoir and turn it on. The built-in heating element will heat the water in just minutes, and then you’re ready to start cleaning!
Steam Mops Provide A Deep Clean
Have you ever noticed how your floors always look clean after they’ve been mopped—for about 5 minutes? Then, before you know it, there are streaks and smudges everywhere.
That’s because traditional mopping only cleans the surface of your floors; all of the dirt, dust, and grime that’s trapped deep down in your flooring pores is left behind.
A steam mop uses the power of hot steam to penetrate deep into your flooring pores and loosen all of that trapped dirt, dust, and grime. The result is clean floors that stay clean longer. And because steam mops sanitize as they clean— thanks to the high temperatures of the steam — they’re perfect for homes with allergies or pets.
Steam Mops Are Incredibly Affordable
When compared to other types of floor cleaners like carpet cleaners or even traditional mopping systems steam mops are very affordable.
Most models fall into the $50-$100 range, which makes them an excellent value for any budget-conscious shopper.
When you factor in all of the time and effort you’ll save by using a steam mop (not to mention how much cleaner your floors will be), it’s easy to see why they’re such a popular choice for so many people.
How To Use Steam Mop – Step By Step
A steam mop is a magical tool that can make cleaning your floors a breeze. If you have not used it before it may seem a bit daunting.
This section will teach you everything you need to know about using a steam mop, from choosing the right model for your needs to getting the best possible clean.
Step One: Choosing The Right Model
Not all steam mops are created equal. When choosing a steam mop, you’ll want to consider the following factors:
- The type of floors you have. If you have hardwood floors, you’ll want to choose a model that comes with a microfiber pad. For tile or vinyl floors, any model will do.
- The size of your home. If you have a large home, you’ll want to choose a model with a large water tank so that you can clean for longer without having to stop and refill.
- Your budget. Steam mops range in price from around $30 to $200. It’s important to find a model that fits your needs and your budget.
Step Two: Preparing Your Floors For Steaming
Once you’ve chosen the right model, it’s time to prepare your floors for steaming. The first step is to sweep or vacuum your floors to remove any large debris.
Then, dampen your floor with water you don’t want it to be sopping wet, but it should be damp enough that the steam can glide across easily.
If you have hardwood floors, now is also the time to apply wood floor cleaner according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step Three: Steaming Your Floors
Now for the fun part! Follow these instructions to start steaming your floors:
- Fill the water tank according to the manufacturer’s instructions and attach it to the steam mop.
- Plug in the steam mop and wait for it to heat up—this usually takes around 30 seconds.
- Once the steam mop is heated up, glide it across your floor in smooth, even strokes. Be sure not to press too hard—the steam will do all the work for you!
- After you’ve gone over your entire floor surface, unplug the steam mop and empty the water tank.
2 Top Picks – Best Steam Mops
To help you find the best steam mop for your needs, we’ve rounded up the top five options on the market.
.Whether you’re looking for a heavy-duty Cleaner for tough stains or something more lightweight and manoeuvrable, we’ve got you covered.
1. Shark System Mop
The Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System Pocket is our favourite pick because it features two scrubbing pads for tackling tough stains.
It also has a dust-away hard floor attachment that picks up debris as you clean. This steam mop is on the heavier side, but it’s still easy to manoeuvre around furniture.
2. Bissell Steam Mop
The Bissell Deluxe Mop is our pick for best overall because it does an excellent job of removing stuck-on debris and dried-on messes.
- It also comes with a detachable scrubber brush that’s great for tougher stains. And since it uses steam instead of chemicals, it’s safe to use around kids and pets.
Steam mopping is a fast, easy way to clean your floors but only if you do it correctly!
Use this guide as a reference the next time you need to give your floors a good cleaning. With just a few simple steps, you can have sparkling clean floors that will make everyone jealous.